§ 1 Scope
(1) These General Terms and Conditions apply with respect to participation in courses and other events offered by the ‘professional training at Beutenberg’ (‘weiter bilden am Beutenberg’) programme of the Beutenberg-Campus Jena e.V. association (hereafter: Beutenberg-Campus Jena) as part of its range of professional training and education courses.
(2) Unless stipulated otherwise in the conditions for participation, the legal provisions of the Federal Republic of Germany apply.
§ 2 Status of the participant
Participation in professional training events takes place in the context of a contractual relationship under private law. Within the ‘professional training at Beutenberg’ programme, Beutenberg-Campus Jena issues certificates of attendance for the successful participation in professional training courses. The courses do not lead to the granting of any university degree.
§ 3 Entering into a contract
(1) Participants can register for courses under the ‘professional training at Beutenberg’ programme in writing through the online registration system, or by letter, fax or e-mail. With this registration, the participant makes a binding commitment to attend the course selected under the stated conditions. By registering, the participant declares that he/she agrees to the necessary collection, processing and use of the data provided by him/her.
(2) After the registration has been processed, the participant shall receive confirmation of registration and an invoice, provided the registration is not rejected due to oversubscription. The contract comes into force with the confirmation of registration.
§ 4 Number of participants
As a rule, the number of participants is limited. Registrations are dealt with in the order in which they are received. Should participation not be possible because the maximum number has been reached, the participant shall be informed promptly.
§ 5 Participation fee / Inability to attend
(1) The fee stated on the registration form is to be transferred to the account indicated by Beutenberg-Campus Jena. The invoiced amount is due – strictly net – upon receipt of the invoice, but no later than 14 days before the start of the course. No VAT is levied on the participation fee in accordance with Section 4 No. 22a of the Value Added Tax Act. The prices are per person and include course materials and refreshments.
(2) Registration can only be cancelled in writing, by letter, fax or e-mail. Beutenberg-Campus Jena charges no fee for cancellations up to 30 days before the start of the course. For cancellations from 30 days to 14 days before the start of the course, Beutenberg-Campus Jena charges administration costs totalling 50% of the participation fee. In the case of later cancellations or non-attendance, the total participation fee will be charged.
(3) If a participant is unable to attend, he/she can name a substitute person. This requires the approval of Beutenberg-Campus Jena.
§ 6 Changes to course dates or programme
(1) Beutenberg-Campus Jena is entitled to postpone or cancel the course for important reasons, for example if a specific number of participants has not been reached. In the event of the course being postponed, the participant has the right to cancel. If Beutenberg-Campus Jena cancels the course, or the participant cancels due to the course being postponed, any fee paid by the participant up to that time will be refunded. Further claims by the participant, for example for reimbursement of cancellation fees for travel and accommodation, are excluded.
(2) The course organiser reserves the right to make changes to the programme for important reasons. Where there is good cause, the course organiser has the right to have the course given by an instructor other than the one originally announced.
§ 7 Course materials
Documentation and software made available or supplied by Beutenberg-Campus Jena as part of the course may not, without written permission from the organiser, be reproduced or – with the use of electronic systems – duplicated, distributed or published. In the event of an infringement, the participant may be required to pay compensation.
§ 8 Liability
(1) No guarantee is given with respect to the knowledge or advice provided, or to the commercial usability of knowledge acquired.
(2) The participant is not entitled to claim for damages or compensation. Exceptions are compensation claims by the participant for injury to life, limb or health. Other exceptions are compensation claims arising from a breach of material contractual obligations and compensation claims based on intentional or gross neglect of duty on the part of Beutenberg-Campus Jena, its legal representatives or vicarious agents. Material contractual obligations are those whose fulfilment is necessary to achieve the objective of the contract.
(3) In the event of a breach of material contractual obligations, Beutenberg-Campus Jena is liable only for foreseeable damage connected with the contract, if such damage was simply caused by negligence, unless the participant’s claims for compensation result from injury to life, limb or health.
(5) The limitations in points 1, 2 and 3 also apply in favour of the legal representatives and vicarious agents of Beutenberg-Campus Jena, if claims are made directly against them.
(4) There is no insurance protection of the participants by Beutenberg-Campus Jena.
§ 9 Participant’s details / Data protection
(1) The participants are advised of the fact that the data collected by Beutenberg-Campus Jena is stored in electronic form and processed for the purpose of the contract. These data are treated in strictest confidence.
(2) The participant thereby declares his/her consent for the data thus collected to continue to be stored after the end of the course for the purpose of further assisting the participant, and he/she agrees that Beutenberg-Campus Jena shall continue to send him/her information material about the ‘professional training at Beutenberg’ programme. The transfer of the data to third parties, with the exception of contract data management, is prohibited. The participant can withdraw this consent in writing at any time.
§ 10 Final provisions
(1) Where the written form is stipulated in these participation conditions, the sending of an e-mail or a fax also fulfils the criteria of the written form.
(2) Any legal relations resulting from the registration to participate in the courses of the ‘professional training at Beutenberg’ programme are governed by the law of the Federal Republic of Germany.
(3) The jurisdiction is Jena.
(4) Should any provision of these General Terms and Conditions be invalid or contestable, this shall not affect the validity of the remaining provisions.